Tuesday, September 18, 2012

ArtStor Documentary Photograph


Credit: Photograph by Bill Brandt (b. Germany; British) of London nightlife, "After the Theater, London." 1934. The Cleveland Museum of Art Collection [Formerly in The AMICO Library] (CMA_.1986.187).

Why I chose the image: I chose this image because the use of flash creates this other-worldly quality, and it brings to mind my romanticized idea of nightlife in the 1930s- when going out was a treat and people got dressed up in fancy clothes to go places. The photo is fun and exciting- I wonder where the gentleman is going and what play/movie he has just seen or is heading to. It also reminds me of the old Hollywood glamour- as I study film history, this is great to see. The 1930s is part of my favorite time period in history, which is why I love this picture.

P.S. I hope this post is in the right place. I am new to blogging, so I'm not sure if I did the right thing. I apologize if an error was made on my part.

~Miriam Kashem

No comments:

Post a Comment